I’m elated the three Billboards lady won the Oscar I’m not too happy about The Shape of Water winning the best film, which brings me to, what is the criteria for winning .. as an Indian, I’m not too pleased with the hail Churchill kind of incomplete depiction of a story of a man in a film either!
As part of the anniversary celebrations for my department in college, a group of us were entrusted with conducting an elocution competition. We had to decide the topic the participants will speak on, decide on who’d judge them, and also decide on a set of criteria their final judgement would be based on.
We were newbies at this breaking down criteria bit, I always have assumed, the judges had magic wands to decide who wins.. but all the three judges refused in turn asked us to break the criteria down they’d judge on. This in a way got our little group thinking .. brain storming
It is a speech competition, therefore, the winner should speak well but what does speaking well mean ..?
Speaking well meant
- Speak about the topic given to them. So.. Content requires a column! The content should be relevant – how do we judge relevance.
- There shd be a level of communication – what they are talking about, clarity of thought abt the topic – they she be audible, shd keep at least the judges engaged.. pronunciation, otherwise what’s the point of the person speaking well but nobody understands?
- But shouldn’t we be convinced? Doesn’t that require marks? Or is that a criteria at all.. (as I would grow older, I’d figure this was a niche area called audience response ..
- In addition to all this we decided to let the speaker choose their posture – we could provide them with a choice of a lectern, and a chair-table, a wireless microphone .. They can use the stage as they wished in those prescribed minutes .. walk, talk, how they used the space, the mic would also be judged.
- Therefore there was a column for interaction with the audience in addition to modulation, intonation, tone .. and creating discussions ..
- We changed it from an elocution to a speak and discuss debate kind of a competition ..
- Of course, the participants needed to know the criteria so they could prep accordingly ..
It was an experience to think thru something like this then ..